Hair fall is the result of hair not being able to retain enough moisture which causes damage and gives it a fragile and brittle appearance. Damaged hair is a worrying cause as it affects an individual’s hair and scalp health and can also have an impact on their confidence. Some of the major reasons of hair getting damaged are- over washing, overexposure to sunlight, excessive use of hair-styling products and heat tools, regular contact with chlorinated water, smoking etc.
How can I repair my damaged hair at home?
Massaging your scalp with a damage repair hair oil is one of the foremost steps of the treatment for damaged hair.
For any kind of damaged hair, natural hair care is the answer! One of the best ways to nourish your hair is to use a hair oil containing avocado, since it is rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin E, minerals and saturated fats. Check out this specially curated Damage Repair duo, with the goodness of plant-based ingredients and zero chemicals!
Does damaged hair grow back healthy?
If your hair is extremely damaged, chances are that your hair has developed cracks in the cuticle and if that cuticle opens, your hair will be subject to further damage, will look dull, dry and frizzy.
Sometimes, hair damage is permanent because hair is actually a collection of dead cells, making them beyond repair. The trick is to give it time, and shift to natural hair care products that aim at a treatment for damaged hair, so that there’s little or no scope for newer damage.
For example, if you have dry hair, use a hydrating shampoo, and always follow up with a conditioner. Rinse the shampoo off with cold water, since it helps in protecting the inner layer of hair and holds in the natural oils.
As much as products like damage repair hair oil are important, equally important is a balanced diet, complete with fruits, vegetables, and lentils.
Exposure to harmful UV rays is the biggest enemy for your skin, as well as your hair, making it more prone to breakage. Remember to wear a scarf or a hat when stepping out in the sun.
Can chemically damaged hair be repaired?
Although chemically damaged hair can be repaired with the use of natural hair products like a damage repair shampoo, it’s best to avoid dying, bleaching and heat styling for a few weeks at least, to allow the damaged hair to heal.
Chemicals tend to remove hair’s natural moisture, making hair lose its smoothness and resulting in a coarse texture.
Some damage repair tips-
- Wash your hair less with a mild damage repair shampoo, and regularise the use of a damage repair hair oil. If the problem persists, go to a professional colorist since they know the correct proportion of products to minimize damage.
- Bleach, used to remove your natural hair color, dissolves the melanin from your hair, that leads to dryness of hair, making it weak and brittle. Try to bleach as less frequently as you can.
- Stick to one chemical treatment at a time. If you’re planning to chemically straighten, or perm your hair, give your hair a window of at least two weeks before colouring it, buying some time for hair to heal.
- Be careful to wash off the chlorine after a swim, since chlorine from swimming pools strip the natural moisture from your hair. Rinse your hair with fresh water before going in the pool, and wash it using a hydrating shampoo as soon as you’re done swimming.
- For best results, try to use a damage repair hair oil before your washdays. You can either leave it overnight, or a couple of hours before stepping into the shower.